Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rudyard Lake- There wouldn't have been a story without it

Ava and Jack's story all started when I came across Rudyard Lake on Google Maps.  Sometimes when I am bored I go on Google Maps and travel around the world. Being a single teacher, it is probably safe to say that I may never get to see places like The Grand Canyon, Hollywood, The Rocky Mountains, New England in the fall, England, Germany, Australia....
But I have visited all of these places on my computer.  So when I was thinking about writing a story I was also at the same time traveling through England on Google Maps and came across Rudyard Lake.


I am not a beach girl- the sand, the waves, the burning sun are not my thing.  But give me a crisp lake with mountains or trees surrounding it and I am in heaven.  I couldn't tell you what it was about this lake that peaked my curiosity but before I knew it I was down to street level exploring as much as I could of this lake.  I found the website and was fascinated by everything I read.  The tie in to Rudyard Kipling also captivated me as I have always loved poems and in particular the poem, If, by Rudyard Kipling, which makes an appearance in the book!

At this point I knew I had found my setting. I would write a story about a young girl who goes to live on Rudyard Lake for the summer and well... you know the rest.

When I would get stuck during the writing process I would often visit the Rudyard Lake website -www.rudyardlake.com and do some more research. Several times I had come across the Rudyard Lake Steam Railway and eventually I added that into the story as well. - www.rlsr.org




Not long after I published Double Sunset I went to the website and clicked "contact us" and quickly wrote and email telling them that I had written a story set on the lake. 

 Hello, I live in Baltimore, Maryland USA. a year and a half ago I started writing a fiction                       story and used Rudyard Lake as my setting. I have never been to the lake or England but                       fell in love with it\'s beauty on google maps and through this website. The story is                                   available on Amazon Kindle. It is called Double Sunset and also includes the summer solstice double sunset that can be seen from near the lake. The steam railway is in the book as well. I wanted you to know about my book and thank you for letting me use the lake and it's surroundings as my setting for my story. One day I hope to visit and see just where my characters lived. 
Kristin Smith Novak 

Double Sunset by Kristin Smith


I really didn't expect a reply and was completely blown away when Ray Perry, Chairman of the Rudyard Lake Trust replied the next day! (yes another happy crying moment for me).

Hi Kristin 
Many thanks for advising regarding your publication, seems you really did your homework and got to know the area even though you have never visited?
I look forward to reading it & will share my experience with others around the Lake in the hope that they will download it too & who knows you may become so successful a writer that a ticket to Rudyard will be just pocket money!
I hope so & then we can all meet you & show you around.
Yours is just the kind of story that our local newspapers just love & if you could provide me with a little more information about yourself, ideally a photo holding your book, I will be only too pleased to put a piece together & who knows it could lead to some more sales for you?
Will be pleased to assist & look forward to meeting you one day in the not too distant future I hope!
Good Luck,
Best wishes
Ray Perry
Chairman
The Rudyard Lake Trust

PS my grand daughter who is just coming up to 3 is called Ava!

I hope Ray doesn't mind that I included his email here but I had to include it to share this wonderful moment!
Several email correspondences later I began to refer to Ray as "My good friend Ray from England." He was so encouraging and thoughtful!  I sent him my story of writing the book and before I knew it he was emailing to tell me that my story would be in the local papers!  Yes more tears!! 
Ray sent me a copy of the paper and I absolutely have no words to describe the joy reading it!  The communication with Ray over the past 6 months have been so much fun!  He sent me a Rudyard Lake Calendar, pictures and a DVD of Rudyard Lake in the 1940's. It would be absolutely beyond my wildest dreams to ever be able to go there and put my feet in the lake and meet Ray! 

I have had so many blessings surrounding this book but reaching out to the Lake and making a connection has been one of my very favorite parts! I am so glad that I thought to reach out and let people at the Lake know I wrote this story.

Sometimes in life we make decisions that open us up to the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment