Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Publishing- a strange new world

Summer 2013

Throughout the whole process of writing Double Sunset I was very protective of my story.  Sharing it with anyone was extremely difficult for me.  When I first began writing I didn't want anyone to know.  I was almost embarrassed to tell people I was writing a book.  I can't explain the feeling properly but for some strange reason I felt the need to keep it close.  I didn't want the questions, the expectations, what if I never finished it? Telling my family and trusted friends was the first step, even though it was difficult.  Had I not shared it with a few people I may not have finished it.
I never had a good grasp on whether it was good or not. I loved it but I am not a trained writer and had no idea how other people would take it.  I think having Amy edit it and slowly telling friends helped me to step out of the shield of protection and accept that maybe other people would want to read it. 
I am not sure when it happened, but sometime in early June I realized that it was ok if not everyone loved it, or even liked it.  I thought about how many books I had read and just didn't like.  Once I accepted that not everyone would like my story and that it was perfectly ok, I became more comfortable with telling people I had written a book. Even saying that now, after all this time, is slightly foreign to me. 
I wanted my Mom, and other friends, to read it and I knew that she wouldn't read it in a Word document on the computer so I began to research publishing options.  Everything I read was very discouraging. It is extremely difficult to get a publishing company to accept your manuscript. I was expected to send out hundreds of "queries", which are short, detailed synopsis of your story to send to publishing houses. The thought of writing a query was daunting and I wasn't sure I could do it.  I was discouraged and not sure I had to time, energy or money needed to send my queries to multiple publishing houses.  Everything I read was discouraging and took the fun out of it for me. I really didn't think publishing was going to be an option for me.
Well somewhere in my research I came across a blog detailing self-publishing on Amazon for FREE!  Immediately I was consumed with this possibility.  Without giving it much thought, I dove head first into the world of self publishing.  Amazon made it very easy, but it wasn't an easy process at all, if that makes any sense.  I downloaded a book from Amazon called Building your Book for Kindle.  I finally had a place to start.
I spent the month of July preparing my manuscript. Most of my formatting had to change as well as adding things like a linked table of contents, copyright page and acknowledgments.   I think by the time I was finished I felt like I had received a masters degree in publishing a Kindle book. 
For some reason I was consumed with the cover of the book.  I had yet to submit my book to Amazon but was stressing over how to get a book cover.  Enter once again my good friend, Sandy.  She offered to create a cover and I was thrilled! I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like and had fun trying to explain it to Sandy so that she could sketch it out.  Several test runs later we had a beautiful cover for Double Sunset! 
It was exactly what I wanted and I loved it!! For those of you who have read the book, Katherine and John are at the top with the first sunset.  Ava and Jack are on the bottom with the second setting of the sun.  Sandy did an amazing job.
So now the story formatted, all the parts of a book completed and cover art done. 
While I was in the process, I began to think about how I would tell people that I had just published a book.  So many people had no idea and the few that did were sworn to secrecy! I chose August 15th as my reveal date because that is my grandmother's birthday and I thought it was symbolic of 1117.  
So began to have a little fun with it- On July 27th I posted this on Facebook:

I am going to have some pretty exciting news on August 15th!! I can't wait to share it- and no I'm not pregnant or getting married  And those of you who know.... keep your trap closed!!  #18days

And the fun began!  All of the speculation from friends and family!! Some more clues followed: 

And I'm not telling anyone until the 15th!!! You are not going to get it out of me so don't try!! It's has nothing to do with the following: Gavin Degraw, Halstead, my house, my job or my girls.  #thisisgoingtobefun

Big news update- 1 person has guessed correctly and she has been sworn to secrecy. #16days

#15days until my big announcement- I think in preparation I will watch the sunset tonight! (oh was that a hint? Maybe, maybe not!)

Hey this might work as today's #14days clue? Perhaps!! 

I had so much fun fielding the questions and possibilities!  Everyone seemed so clueless at to what it could be!  Finally on August 10th I uploaded my revised manuscript to Amazon.  It took about 24 hours for it to go live.  When I searched for Double Sunset on Amazon and saw my book and my name I cried, I was so happy!  I immediately went to Facebook for the big reveal (4 days early)
IT'S TIME!!! I am not going to make anyone wait any longer! Today is the day that I announce that I am now a published indie author!! I wrote a fiction book and have published it on Amazon Kindle! Follow the link to the book's Facebook page, like the page and share it with your friends. The link for the download is in the "about" section. This has been a long journey for me and I am so happy to share it with you all!! Special thanks to Amy Smith Bittnerfor editing and Sandy Grim Rossi for the wonderful cover art! Here we go!!https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-Sunset/199854833508937

To say that I was blown away by the response is an understatement!  This time in my life was the most thrilling, awkward, exciting and humbling experience I had ever gone through! I am blown away but the support of my friends and family and above all the support of Ava, Jack, Katherine and John who live in my soul!!

This journey has been one I will never forget, one that has helped to define me as a person and most importantly one that has given me my life and my happiness back after so many difficult years!  I am forever grateful for Rudyard Lake, Ava Banks, Jack Hollings, Katherine Adkins and John Cooper! 

Next time- What happens AFTER you publish a book to Kindle? Finding a place to publish paperback copies of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment