Friday, January 10, 2014

Gifts

Throughout the writing process I was given little "gifts" that came about unexpectedly and helped to move the story along and renew the writing for me.  The first one was when Shannon Smith suggested I add 1117 into the story. (see previous post).  Without that suggestions I may have been stuck with 140 typed pages, no ending and no where to go from there.  While going back through the story and finding just the right places to add in 1117, I was able to revise and edit and make changes that then, as in a ripple effect, would cause changes in other places in the story. 

Through the winter of 2012 I focused on expanding the story, making it longer and more detailed in places. When I would run into a slump, a time where I just had no idea what else to write or add into the story, I would often go back to researching.  I haven't mentioned researching much, which is odd because, researching was one of my favorite parts of writing the story. When I was writing the first "concept" of the story- the horror story- I was researching England legends and superstitions and overall English history.  I had files of information taken from websites that I discovered could possibly be included in the story.  Once I ditched that story idea I had to also ditch all of that research. 

So when I shifted my focus to love on the lake, I began to look more into Rudyard Lake and the surrounding town.  Having already combed over the Rudyard Lake website, I began to look into other things in the area.  The next "gift" I was given was the Rudyard Lake Steam Railway.  I knew about the railway very early and kept it filed away in the back of my head.  One day, while looking over the website again and viewing pictures of the Rudyard Lake Railway, I knew I wanted to include it in the story- the proverbial light bulb glowed in my head.  Once again, trudging back into the story, I found places where I could weave the railway in and make it an integral part of the story.  The Rudyard Railway was one of my favorite "gifts" and I love how I was able to tie it together throughout the story!  THIS is the thrilling part of writing for me! 

Mid-winter 2013 the story was still called Reverie.  I spent a lot of time reminding myself that a Reverie was a daydream and it just didn't fit with the story.  However, I really liked the word!  I liked the sound of it, especially as a title.  I have always been partial to one word book titles for some reason.  I just wasn't ready to let that go as the title.  Until- my next "gift"- the Double Sunset! 

After the Railway was put into the story, my next research mission was to find out more about the surrounding towns, particularly Leek.  While reading about this charming town I came upon a mention of the double sunset- a rare phenomenon in which the sun sets twice on the same night from a specific place. I was fascinated and began to read more. I was also beginning to think of how I could incorporate this into the story and I found that it fit in perfectly in so many different ways.  If you've read Double Sunset you will have to let me know if you think it just fit with the story.  
Here are some links to more information about the real Double Sunset in Leek, UK. 
http://www.leekonline.co.uk/sunset/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_sunset
http://www.mikeoates.org/mas/leek/sunset.htm
This picture is from the last website above.



As I fit the idea of the double sunset into the story it kept creeping up that this would be a perfect title for the book.   I wasn't sold on the idea and struggled right up to the very day I published about keeping it as the title.  Thinking back I can't imagine any other title for the story and I am glad I didn't try to change it, it's perfect. 

There were many many more "gifts" that would present themselves to me just when I needed them, that also had a significant role in making Double Sunset what it is.  The whole publishing process was full of unexpected twists and turns that allowed me to keep pushing forward to the end. 
I will be forever thankful for these "gifts", some might call them coincidences but I prefer to think of them as a special intervention that kept me focused and on track to finish and publish. 

Next thoughts- putting an ending on the story...finally!


No comments:

Post a Comment